Details of the final two episodes of Dollhouse

Back when I wrote that article about the final 9 episodes of the series, there wasn’t much said about the final episodes.

‘cos, you know, I couldn’t say about Team Echo finding out about what happens in the future, and about the head of Rossum, and the mind blowing thing.

So, here’s what left:

Episode 12 – The Hollow Men
January 15th 2010
Written by Michelle Fazekas & Tara Butters & Tracy Bellomo

Directed by Terence O’Hara

Why you should be excited: Topher’s tech is apparently going to end civilisation so Team Echo are supposed to be stopping that, but there’s a minor pesky detail in the way: somebody has been manipulating everything in the background.  This episode is explosive – every character in this series has a past, and they’re all in that ‘house for different reasons.  This episode is, to me, the series finale.  It’s the episode where the characters we love finally crash into each other.

So what the hell follows?

Episode 13 – Epitaph Two: Return
January 22th 2010
Written by Maurissa Tancharoen & Jed Whedon & Andrew Chambliss

Directed by David Solomon

Why you should be excited: The people behind the best episodes of the series (‘Epitaph One’, ‘Belonging’, ‘Spy In The House of Love’, ‘The Attic’) are back…

…To write Dollhouse: The Movie.  Instead of waiting several years and bashing their lives into a brick wall to structure a motion picture serving a general audience and hardcore fans*, the writers have made the last episode of Dollhouse the swansong to this insane journey.  I’m almost certain this is the last time you’ll ever see these characters in live action, and that’s the bitter truth.  So those final minutes have to mean something.  And they do.  This isn’t the random final episode of a cancelled TV show.

* Thank you Joss.  Still my favourite movie.

1. dave says:

YESSSS!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait. That is exactly what I wanted to hear.
    I am happy that it is going to feel like two finales, the one in the current timeline which will immediately lead to the epitaph one future, and then epitaph two, which i know is going to be awesome!
    I’m soooooo pissed that the show is cancelled now. I know they probably created the season from the beginning as if it was going to be cancelled anyways, but I could’ve skipped over instinct and belle chose, they are good episodes, but again, the stand alone format at the beginning of the season kind of screwed them over.. If they would’ve gotten arc-y around episodes 3-4, then..
    I don’t know, i guess its too late to wish now.

2. wrdo says:

I am very very excited about these episodes. Especially since ep. 12, “The Hollow Men” is the same title as a T.S. Eliot poem. Interestingly, the poem fits with the show.

3. Tominrichardson says:

So this is it. Two more episodes and out. I’m so glad that we got to see two seasons, and maybe that’s enough to tell the story, but I will be left wanting more.

4. Kat says:

I have a major case of mixed feelings. It’ll be over, but it’ll go out with a BANG!

5. PaperSpock says:

I’m hoping for a happy ending, as naive as I know that is, what with us basically already knowing that the world is going to end (unless we find out something matrix-y, like E1 took place in the attic or something).

6. M says:

You know, I’m almost glad the show was cancelled, because it’s forced Whedon and co to really pull out all the stops. We get some really great hypercompressed TV because there’s an end in sight.

Looking forward to this. Roll on whatever Joss does next, lets hope it doesn’t fall foul of ‘mission of the week’ type episodes this time!

7. Marian says:

I feel like an employee who went on vacation and came back to find the company gone. Bummer! I just watched the penultimate and came running to my PC to find out what the deal was. I didn’t realize that the show had been canceled. Another well-thought-out SF program gone.

8. Moe says:

This episode felt like series finale so the next episode is like a bonus episode.

They said in 2 weeks plus I could’ve sworn they said it was a 2 hour series finale?

9. wytchcroft says:

i can only agree.

10. Taliesin says:

I agree with Tominrichardson, 2 seasons may have been enough to tell the story, but it’s such a shame that the story isn’t ending on the writers/producers terms. Don’t get me wrong I know they’ve been allowed to conclude the Dollhouse story, which is more than some shows get, but that conclusion has come earlier than they and we would have liked.

Good luck for the future guys.

11. IrishWhisky says:

I don’t know if a Dollhouse movie would be good, and hadn’t even considered the notion. But it worked for Firefly (Serenity). Epi 12 rocked, and I am excited about Epitaph 2, but where the eff did Alpha get off to?

12. Mary says:

oh jeeze – i’m excited to watch the FINAL ep sometime next week, but i heard that it may not be on TV the 22nd? cuz that’s when FOX and like every other major channel is broadcasting the Haiti relief thing?? so … is it moved till the following Fri, or something???? =/

13. Catmandue says:

If the series would have been anything like the past few episodes, it wouldn’t have gotten canceled. I’m looking forward to the last episode. It’ll be interesting to see how it all ends…again.

14. pckat says:

Watched Epitaph II. Great story but kind of rushed. A happy but sad ending for Echo.

15. Chris says:

An absolute top-notch performance from all involved. This has been my favorite series to date, very sorry to see it go. They could have easily ran 100 episodes.

16. Moe says:

I was a little disappointed with the series finale. A little rushed. They could’ve given Josh 2 hours to wrap the series.

17. JR says:

I just watched finale, DVRs rock, BUT it seemed like I missed at least an episode. Where do they introduce the two new characters? What happened? It’s over, and that sucks. ; ) I really looked forward to Dollhouse. Very rushed finale. Very disappointed. Time to cry now… (